- Hoi Bing
- Vancouver Canada
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Oh so many things to love about my apartment. I love the layout. As the suite is on the smaller scale, layout is so important. The bathroom has two doors, one to my bedroom and one to the living room. I love the trees and plants my landlord has selected for the exterior and because I'm on the ground floor, I get to see the garden, which is fenced in with a beautiful rustic old iron fence that adds security without feeling boxed in, every single day. This is truly a garden suite. I love the natural light in the apartment. I love all the nice details such as decent appliances and beautiful tiles in both kitchen and bathroom, dimmable pot lights and mouldings on all windows and doors. I love the two "French" doors to both the suite and to my bedroom. This is my sanctuary.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Don't be afraid to fill up the spaces even though they may be small. I find that it is quite common that people push all furniture against the walls, leaving an empty space in the middle which actually exaggerates how small the spaces are. The trick is to have furniture that are proportional to the areas.
2. Be selective and keep only what you love, whether it is your clothing or furniture or cookwares/dishes and invest in getting a few beautiful items for the apartment such as towels and beddings.
3. Having plants and wall decorations are extremely important. They add life to the smallest spaces. If you're a natural plant killer like me, get plants that are low maintenance such as air plants, succulents and cacti. And please don't hang your art works and mirrors too high. It does not make your small space look bigger just because you hang your art works high. Your small space will appear to be hallow, if that makes any sense.